- Posted by: essay
- Category: Free essays
Objective: Identify the relationship of values to the various musical genres and the factors affecting this relationship.
1) Compare features of the value content of various genres of music to different audiences.
2) To trace the changes of the value content of various musical genres in different classrooms.
Hypothesis 1 – Music in the minds of the audience will have a peculiar’s value range, which overlaps and varies depending on the musical genre.
Hypothesis 2 – value range will vary depending on the audience.
The study will be conducted in various constituencies (by genres of music), affecting both men and women (50/50), the average age of all respondents is 27 years.
We will use a technique known as “The method of the value spectrum”. This technique was modeled on repertory grids and presents a list of 18 values with which people attribute to them a number of defined objects, follow these instructions: “Before you list of values. In the column on which is written LIFE place a check next to the values that you think are inherent in life, in the column on which written music place a check next to the values that are inherent in music, etc”.
This technique will perfectly suit for studies of perception of different musical genres, and we will try to hold a study in the identification of values related to a variety of musical genres and factors affecting it attitude. To achieve this goal it is necessary to solve some problems, such as: a comparison of features of the value content of various music genres in various classrooms; trace the change of the value content of certain genres have different audiences in a time warp.
The audience will be interviewed about following genres: pop, art song, rock music and classical music. Subjects will be proposed a method of the value of the spectrum, where the objects are evaluated: a pop song, art song, rock music, classical music, life and music (as a phenomenon in general).
Based on the survey results will be compiled in summary matrix for each respondent group. (Appendix 1).
The possible results of the research can be the next: from the qualitative analysis of these matrices can be noted similarities in the perception by audience of art song and rock music of the object “pop song”. None of the interviewees will acknowledge the presence of truth, perfection, completeness, units found a meaning in it, the need for uniqueness, self-sufficiency, beauty. But the majority will note the presence in pop music simplicity and ease. This similarity in estimates can say about a certain parallel to the perception of this genre.
The results of these matrices will be subjected to quantitative analysis. As a result, we will get the following materials. (Appendix 2)
IV. The possible results of the research
The data, that will be received in the research, will be interpreted as follows:
1. In the audience of art song the concept of “art song” and “rock music” will correlate with the concept of “life”, as well as among themselves, which will be interpreted as the perception of these two concepts are not as entertaining events, as well as directly related to real life on its value characteristics, and a similar attitude to both genres. This can be explained by some dissolution at the present time the author’s songs in rock music – rock musicians, many perceived themselves are the authors of their songs, and do not sing songs by other composers, both vocal and istrumental bands in the 70-80th years.
It will be noted negative correlation of rock music with the concept of “classical music”. This will be explained by way of rock music as a non-academic genre that emerged in the present.
2. In pop music audience’s concept of “pop song” will correlate with the concept of “music”, that is the best stage shows the ratio of students to perceive music as such. For fans of this genre of music is first and foremost entertainment, and is particularly associated with light pop songs, had nothing to do with this notion of a life. It is also interesting to note the correlation of art song with the word “variety”, which will be interpreted as the perception of art song as a certain element of modern pop music. This can be explained as a way of art song on the big stage, associated with the commercialization of the genre.
3. The audience’s concept of “rock music” will be correlated with such concepts as “life”, which again confirms the special attitude to the very rock as a genre has the same value characteristics as the real, life around.
4. Correlation of the concept of “music” and “life” suggests a particular perception of music as a kind associated with life events, in a fairly fully displays the value of existing life. Relation to music with the audience will be very serious, not like a consumer-based leisure moments. Correlation of the same rock with the author’s song once again will confirm the assertion merging of genres, which happened on our stage.
5. In classical music the term “rock music” also will correlate with the concept of “art song”, but it is worth noting a negative correlation of rock with the concept of “music”. This suggests that listeners of classical music do not perceive the rock as a musical genre, but rather give it a few other unmusical sense, perhaps related to modern rock music venue at the scene, its shape and sound.
The immutability of the same assessment of the term “classical music” in all audiences (beauty, perfection, the lack of ease and simplicity) can be attributed to academic quality of this genre, it’s slight change in the past time period, which is primarily due to non-profit nature of most mass of classical music.
In the research we will make an attempt to understand the scantily studied the problem of finding mechanisms for perception of musical genres. The results will indicate that a purely psychological approach to studying this problem is clearly not enough – you want a more thorough analysis that takes into account cultural studies, aesthetic and socio-economic aspects of this problem. Nevertheless, analysis of the results can lead to the following conclusions:
1. Musical genres have different value spectra, which determine their perceptions of audiences, both phenomena associated not only with art but with real life. For example, the audience of rock music and art song genres will tend to think of these as directly reflecting the surrounding reality, and the audience pop song refers to it as a purely entertainment.
2. Each audience will have its own range’s value for every musical genre, the life and music in general. Depending on the audience the value characteristics of genres will change, but also the concepts of “life” and “music”. However, it should be noted virtually the same assessment of the audiences of art song and the rock music in the genre of pop music. Given also the similar ratio of these audiences to life, we will be able to conclude a partial fusion of these genres on the modern stage.
3. Invariance relationship to the genre of classical music will be connected with academic and fairly stable situation classics in a changing music world.
We can say that the assumption of dependence of the stability of the value content of a musical genre on the stability of the genre will be confirmed.